Monday, September 5, 2016

1101-10 Our Passions (Part 1)

While Hurricane Hermine was raging outside this weekend, I was on the couch, dry and cozy, reading your first journal entries. I enjoyed getting to know you all better, and it was also fun to learn the variety of things that you are passionate about. I thought I would share a few snippets from some of the entries for your reading pleasure this week.



My passion is musical theater. I am completed captivated with the family atmosphere in any type of performing arts group. They are so involved in each other’s lives. I think it has something to do with the fact that anyone who performs bares their soul to their audience. I love the rush that performing is able to give me. There is a sort of power that comes with performing a show. You hold the audiences emotions in your hands. Theater is truly magical, I have seen it change people’s lives, both actors and patrons. To have the chance to change people’s lives is the best feeling you could have. Music has ingrained itself into my life and become a daily habit. Whether I am rehearsing for a new show or just enjoying the songs. For the past six years I have been singing, dancing, and acting. Working behind the scenes is just as satisfying, if not more. Seeing the set pieces and costumes that you built with your own two hands fills your chest with pride. It also works the other way. As an actor, when I look out in the audience and I see someone I know, I feel accomplished. I have never been able to feel that way anywhere else. – Isabella C.



 

Hunting is a very precious thing to me. When I’m up in a tree or sitting on the ground in a blind I put up, it blocks me out from the world completely and brings me closer to nature. There are no telephones, vehicles, or sureness when you’re in the woods. The feeling of just sitting there looking out and around you just so eager and impatient for something to walk out is insane. You always have a feeling every time you turn your head something is about to walk into your view. My favorite part about hunting has to be without a doubt harvesting the animal. Just being blessed enough to bring food hoe to your family gives me all the joy. --  Tony M.
 






During my final year of high school, I wanted to take a fun and easy elective class. … After a few moments in the guidance office, I decided to take Acting I. … I didn’t think much of it at first, though, not until the teacher convinced me to audition for the fall production of Almost, Maine. I was quite skeptical at first, I’ll admit. I didn’t think I would be cut out for the rigors of thespianism and all that comes with it. Once I got up on that stage to audition though, I was captivated by the size of the auditorium before me. I began to read for a few different characters, and was eventually cast in the production. The director somehow thought it would be a good idea to give me, the guy who had never set foot on a stage before, half of the male parts in the play, which, of course, freaked me the hell out. After all the rehearsals, line-memorization, blood, sweat, and tears, I fell in love.

Then came opening night.






... In a nervous sweat, after having been through costumes and makeup, I made my way behind the curtain. I peeked under to see how many people were in the audience and was shocked to see a full house. Hundreds of people just waiting to be entertained. It was then that I realized just how much was riding on my shoulders. I was the lead male actor, and these people came to see a show they would never forget. …  The very moment I stepped into the light and uttered my first lines, I knew I had discovered a passion of mine that would hold my heart for a very long time. After all was said and done, and the performance was over, my fellow actors and I walked onstage for the curtain call. Everyone was clapping, and slowly, they began to stand up. Soon enough, not a single seat was filled. Everyone stood on their feet. We each stood forward and bowed with our main scene partners, and the very moment I stood forward with mine, the crowd let out the greatest roar of praise of the night.



I went to sleep that night with the greatest sense of accomplishment I had ever felt in my life. Nothing could ever come close to the 21st of November, 2015. It was on this night that I became a thespian. – Jose R.
 


Weren't these great? I hope they will inspire you to write and to share!  Please check back later in the week for Part 2!

No comments:

Post a Comment