Monday, September 5, 2016

1101-05 Our Passions (Part 1)

While Hurricane Hermine was raging outside this weekend, I was on the couch, dry and cozy, reading your first journal entries. I enjoyed getting to know you all better and learning about the variety of things that you are passionate about. I thought I would share a few snippets from some of the entries for your reading pleasure this week. 



Skateboarding is my passion. Trying a trick for hours can be physically and mentally tough. Just the other day, I was trying a backside kick flip, which is a 180 body spin with a 360 flip on the axis, from the nose to the tail of the skateboard. Thirty minutes went by of me falling and landing on my ass over and over again. I was ready to give up. Sweat was dripping from my forehead into my eyes. I took big gulps of my Cherry Dr. Pepper, which probably should have been water. I could easily get back in my car and drive home to take a refreshing shower, but I knew I would quickly regret doing that. For another thirty minutes, I kept trying, and by trying I meant falling. Not landing a trick after trying it so much can really put you in this mood of, “Why should I keep skating?” But I knew that eventually I would land it, and it would be the best feeling in world. That is why I am so passionate about skateboarding. Skateboarding takes me away from the world. I will always be on a skateboard until I am not physically able. Nothing else matters when I am on that piece of wood, with wheels on it. But that piece of wood is a huge part of my life.      -- Joseph M.



As a child my passion going through school, what I loved to do, was play softball. From the time I was 6 or 7 years old, I played softball every year. As I got older it was two to three times a year. It was my life… it is where I fit in. …  The structure of the game along with the unknown all tied into one, is what I thrived on: knowing that ball will eventually get hit, but not knowing when or where; having to use split second decisions on whether to take a swing or let it pass. Playing ball will always be a wonderful memory for me and some of the best times I had growing up. Now I look forward to being “that mom” cheering my children on in what they love to do.   -- Carla H.




Band is something I have been doing since I began in 6th grade. I always was interested in learning how to play an instrument, and somehow I ended up playing the tuba. If I am being honest here the only reason I began playing the tuba was because my middle school band teacher offered it to me free of a monthly rental fee. ... So I tried out the tuba and turns out I was a natural, I ended up playing the first note, on my first try, of the first scale I would end up having to learn. After that I was satisfied and that’s how I got stuck with the tuba. I eventually kept getting better and for some reason I really fell in love with my instrument the older I got. In high school I joined the marching band and that was one of the best things I ever did in high school. To be marching on the field performing in front of hundreds of people really gave me adrenaline.  -- Vanessa R.


Weren't these fun to read? I hope they will inspire you to write and to share!  Please check back later in the week for Part 2!

4 comments:

  1. Love reading the posts from students!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joseph, I really liked your post, which is kind of surprising since I didn't think skateboarding was going to be a topic that interested me. Your flow is really great, I liked how easy this was to read. You structured it very well. I applaud your usage of a swear word, the explanation of a backside kickflip, and the importance of never giving up. Oh, you're right, by the way--you should be drinking water instead of Dr Pepper :p
    -Summer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vanessa,
    I'm almost jealous that you picked up an instrument and were a natural. You said you lucked in to being placed as a tuba player. Would you consider another instrument? How do you get your musical kicks nowadays, since college doesn't do band? I bet you miss it, performing. Great job!
    -Summer

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carla,
    I'm really glad you decided to write about softball, as I learned quite a few things about you from your post! You really communicated how important softball is to you. I'm glad you had such a great experience with softball from a young age and up. Have you considered coaching?
    -Summer

    ReplyDelete