Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Seeing Flamenco Beach

By Anna Sanchez

I was walking on the warm hot sands of a famous beach in Puerto Rico called “Flamenco Beach,” which is known as one of the most beautiful beaches in Puerto Rico. As I was collecting sea shells for my collection back at home, I saw this beautiful young girl sitting on one of the benches near the shade surrounded by a ton of palm trees. She looked lonely, and I couldn’t help but notice the sadness in her face, so I began to walk towards her to ask what was wrong.


As I was walking towards her and now closer, I realized she didn’t quite notice me or even acknowledge I was there, and that’s when I knew she was blind. I sat on the other side of the bench since it wasn’t occupied. I said to her “ Mind if I steal this seat,” and the girl answered “no.”  I introduced myself and asked for her name; her name was Isabella.

It was hard trying to start a conversation with her considering she kept giving me short responses. I didn’t know what to say, so I just gazed off admiring the beautiful view of the aqua blue waters of the beach. All of a sudden she asked me “Hey can I ask you a question?” I responded, “Of course, what is it?” She asked me, “What’s the beach like? Can you describe to me the view.  I bet it’s beautiful. I can feel it just by the warm sun kisses of the sun and the peaceful sounds of the birds chirping”

 I told her, “Isabella, the beach is one of the most beautiful places on earth. Imagine a place where the water is crystal clear and calm, the sand soft and white, like snow surrounded by green mountains, and palm trees, and an ocean adorned with beautiful coral reefs. Kids are running back and forth in the warm sand feeling the salty air brushes of the wind against their rosy red cheeks, enjoying the joyful atmosphere. That, Isabella, is the beach, and you don’t need to see it to enjoy it. You can simply feel it.”

9 comments:

  1. I love this post because I'm from Puerto Rico and I know how beautiful this beach is. It's one of the most beautiful creation that earth has. I also love how Anna said that you don't need to see it but just feel it to enjoy it because that is very true. Just feeling the water and the sand on your feet is amazing.

    - Aleisha A

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great story. I think that a lot of people in Florida take the beach for granted. It's a beautiful place and it's no wonder why people all over rush to places like Puerto Rico just to visit the beach. I also really like the description of the beach, it almost places you right there in Puerto Rico.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This story reminds me of when I met blind girl sitting under trees in park. While other kids were complaining about weather, and birds chirping, she was smiling hearing those noise. I felt pity for her, so I went up to talk to her. I never learned her name, but I remember what she said "I am lucky to have true friend, who doesn't pity me."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I Love this post because the setting seems very relaxing. Describing the beach to a blind girl seemed very challenging,but explaining to her that she doesn't need to see the beach,but feeling the atmosphere is more important. The way the author dealt with the struggle to start a conversation with the little girl was a challenge, but after answering the little girls question the story got interesting. I think the author did a good job at bighting the girls mood.

    Terry Crosby ENC 1101-10

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was excited to read this blog post because of the beautiful picture! Puerto Rico is a place that I have always wanted to visit. Your description of the setting of the story allowed me to paint a picture in my mind without looking at the picture. I could imagine the crystal clear water surrounded by the green mountains. I would love to visit a place that has both a beautiful beach and a mountain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Puerto Rico! I haven't been there in so long, oh my gosh. Last time I went, a few friends and I went to a beach in Vieques. It was such a good time, oh man. We rode on a big banana boat that was attached to a speedboat and it yanked us all over the place. I fell off like 4 times! You're absolutely right about the feelings that come with our Isla del Encanto. There's just something about it. You can just feel it.

    Jose Rivera, ENC1101-10

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of when I went to the Bahamas. I find so much peace and beauty on islands. I absolutely love this post. If I had to describe this beach to someone blind, I would make sure I explain every detail because a beach is really a place that everyone should be able to experience!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This story is truly beautiful. The way you deserved the besch really allowed me to feel and see the same. It is truly horrible when someone is blind, however, any person who cannot experience the beach as a whole would appreciate this so much. You give amazing details keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this post really made me feel like i was there. it was interesting how you described the beach to isabella. it was very descriptive and concise. made me want to get up and go to the beach - Carlos Garcia

    ReplyDelete