Monday, November 28, 2016

Coleman Federal Prison Field Trip

by Tabitha Henke
This trip was an opportunity provided by the CF Criminal Justice Club, giving the club members a chance to go see the largest federal prison in the United States.  My experience at Coleman was interesting, from walking through the metal detectors upon entry to getting a stamp on my left arm which can only be detected by a black light. Upon entering I walked past the three layered barbed-wired fence which consisted barbed wire on the external and internal sides, and a less lethal level in the middle of the barbed wire.

Once through the opening doors, I entered the main corridors. Our tour guide, who was one of the correctional officers, guided me and the whole group to the entrance of the inner yard. It consisted of all of the units that hold all of the male inmates, a total of 1,868 inmates. Once the officer unlocked the gate to enter the J-unit, we all followed him through the doors and into the unit. Inmates were looking at us the whole time walking through the unit. All of us were told by the officer to not make eye contact with any of the inmates and to ignore anything they say or do towards us.

Upon exiting the J-unit, we went into the K-unit and then entered the recreation room. The room consisted of all of the activities that the inmates were able to do, such as painting, watching movies, workout out, making purses, and playing sports. The recreation room gives the inmates something to do during the daytime.

Exiting the room, we all walked down the inner yard and observed an enclosed yard with tents and ashes of a fire. The officer informed us that the yard is for inmates who are of the Native American religion; these inmates have the ability to smoke tobacco and have fires in the enclosed yard. If any inmate took the advantage for granted, the privilege would be taken away immediately. The prison consisted of good health care facilities and psychological facilities and an opportunity for inmates to go to school to get their GED or go to college.


This trip is good for anyone who is interested going into criminal justice or law enforcement. 

9 comments:

  1. Wow, that sounds like it was a very interesting place to visit! I can't imagine how strange it must have been when the inmates would say weird things to you or stare at you in a creepy way. I also had no idea that any inmate of any race or religion could some tobacco. To my knowledge it was no longer allowed. I think it's really cool that they work with the Native Americans and let them stick with their traditions. The federal prison is definitely different than I imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great place to visit! I can imagine how hard it must have been to be surrounded by all the inmates and trying not to look at anyone. I think it is great that there is a recreation room for the inmates and an opportunity for them to continue their education. It is important to rehabilitate inmates instead of just punishing them.

    Kaylee Davis
    ENC1101-10

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds like it was an unforgettable experience. I had no idea that a prison that high up would have so many activities or options. The thing that surprised me the most was that they allowed Indians to practice their culture and had a program to get their GED or go to college. I bet it was scary to have the inmates around you (even thought they were in their cells), and almost intimidating. I have always wanted to walk through a prison and would have taken advantage of that opportunity had I known about it ahead of time. Thank you for sharing your experience!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's funny how inmates will sometimes behave towards visitors. They act all tough and whatnot, but really, they're just another human being. To an extent, they're no different than the visitors. I dunno. Just some thoughts that crossed my head after reading this. I didn't realize that tobacco was a part of Native American religions though, that's so interesting!

    Jose Rivera, ENC1101-10

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was provided with this opportunity and missed it, and by the details given I certainly missed an amazing opportunity. I'm sure at some points you felt intimidated by the stares and words said toward you by the prisoners. However, in the end you able to walk out and they were not. It seems to have been a great field trip for a criminal justice student. Hopefully you will get plenty more opportunities just alike.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What an experience. My brothers have been in and out of jail since they were teens and believe it or not, I've never set foot in jail. I've always wanted to be apart of a community outreach project at a penitentiary. I want talk with the youth and try to make a difference. I want youth to know that it's never too late to change there life around and be anything they want in life. I will be looking into this club next semester. I didn't even know CF had a club like this, that is really awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love how class mate wrote this she wad very excited before she went into it and the best part about it to me was her descriptions given. I wasn't able to be there yet I felt like I saw everything that was going on. I loved how she included details that I wouldn't know unless I was there such as, how the inmates made purse and painted.I enjoyed how Tabi described why the ashes where on the ground instead of just leaving it like that I Never would've guess smoking and bonfires were allowed although it is nice to give back to the Native Americas in that Aspect However , I did wonder if that was only provided to those of Native American culture?

    ReplyDelete
  8. this was a great piece. you could really feel the tension of being in there while you read this. i found it interesting that they told you not to make any eye contact with the inmates. also i wasn't aware of the native american religious privilege. - Carlos Garcia

    ReplyDelete
  9. It sounds like a crazy experience. My mom was a deputy and she would tell me some things she would see going through the jails and it was crazy to hear. I would never be able to go to the jail, it would scare me way to much. I am gald though this opportunity was amazing for you and still made you want to be a cop. --Kaitlyn Watson

    ReplyDelete