Saturday, November 26, 2016

The Florida Watercolor Society Exhibit at CF

by Cable Brenay
The Florida Watercolor Society exhibit at the CF Webber Center is a wonderful sight to behold. Not only is the art amazing, but it is being created by wonderful people still honing their skills as one of our peers. The realism, the depth, the feelings and wonder that wash over the viewer are warming to know that these works have been done by people among us, not time distant artists but one of us. The work that is being done is impeccable, all in their own way, but a few stood out to me personally.

One of the most striking pieces was “Walking Tall” by Jenny Medued which depicts a young Native American man with new style glasses in the process of a solo spiritual dance clad in traditional garb. The painting skill is only matched by the pride felt when the viewer sees that a young modern age man is keeping the traditions of his ancestors long since passed fresh and alive for people to appreciate. This dedication to family and heritage is breathtaking.
 
"Walking Tall"
Another painting was “Royal Pride” by Susan Tully. Her ability to breathe life into a white horse, in ornate halter, hanging its head, is amazing. The horse appears to be weeping and for what reason is up to the viewer’s interpretation: the straining nature of its cause, the loss of a friend, the last ride before being put to pasture; regardless it is both majestic and moving.

"Royal Pride"

Another article of animal life is shown by Sandi Hanlon-Bruer in “Come on in the Waters Fine” where she shows a lone alligator skulking through the water. The soft color choices and the fact that the fierce teeth are hiding just below the surface echo the title. It’s a painting that would make any native Floridian proud.

"Come on in the Water's Fine"

A very different piece was the “Trail to Vernal Falls” by Sue Archer a very delicate piece showing an elderly woman sitting near the bottom of set of large stone steps. The woman is either sketching or writing with her face hidden behind her snow white hair. This piece pulls at the viewer with curiosity: Why is she sitting? What is she doing? Who is she? She could be anyone for any reason doing anything the viewer can interpret.

 
"Trail to Vernal Falls"
Although all of these were very well done and invoked so many feelings the most amazing piece was “What Now My Love” by Frank Spino. The realism and the detail that was carefully poured into this particular piece is heart stopping. A man wraps is arm around his wife and kisses the side of her head as she clutches his arm with worry cascading across her face. Any man that has ever cared for a woman can relate to this, as well as every woman that has ever sought the comforting embrace of a man that loves her. This is a painting that shows how marriage should be, a man supporting his wife and a wife seeking no one but her husband.

"What Now My Love"

This being the first art exhibit that I have ever viewed I was very impressed. Gladly since then I have visited two other art galleries. I have found a new appreciation for art and the feeling s and thoughts that come with it. I feel that this particular exhibit far exceeded my expectations as prior to it was not a fan of art at all. I hope that you will be able to have a similar experience with the next exhibit and have a few feelings of your own to share.

7 comments:

  1. I thought that an art exhibit was boring, or maybe I just think that way because I do not understand most of the arts, but you opened my mind and pushed me to try to appreciate more the "feelings and thoughts that come with it." G. Bracho

    ReplyDelete
  2. The art exhibit is very interesting. I now understand that all of the art has meaning behind them witch makes me look into depth of the artist mind. some art is painted off of history and others are painted off of felling's. The art exhibit is very interesting because looking at paintings can brighten your day boost your mood.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the art exhibit is awesome because it has great artwork. The paintings have different meanings also they tell a story. Understanding the authors mood lets me understand how excited she was. I believe visiting the exhibit can brighten your mood and also let you understand the artist mind or mood by reading the paintings.

    Terry Crosby ENC1101-10

    ReplyDelete
  4. The pictures you posted and the descriptions were fantastic. I especially enjoyed reading about the picture with the man hugging his wife. The image made me pause what I was reading and just stare at the painting. I haven't been to a lot of art exhibits, but feel it is important to understand the meaning behind the paintings. It makes the paintings all the more meaningful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cable,
    I can definitely understand why you chose these paintings to write about. You give several new perspectives to ponder over, so thank you. Also, thank you for posting pictures! The pieces you chose to feature were most interesting. You covered them very well. Your descriptions of the pieces are so enlightening and true. I'm glad you enjoy watercolors too :)
    -Summer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I personally admire the artwork, artist and the person who was able to look deeper into what was painted. For example Sandi Hanlon-Breuer's painting on the horse with its head down was almost like a poem to me, It was all about perspective;It talked to people in a different ways . I love looking at and reading things that when I go back to it can see it in a new way time and time again. some may have see the head being down as a symbol of honor or sorrow but the deeper picture was the master piece that lived on beyond the painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this post was very good. i really like your interpretation of the paintings i really found them interesting. i really liked "trail to vernal falls" there's something about that painting that stands out to me. it's wonderful the feelings that art can evoke. -Carlos Garcia

    ReplyDelete