Sunday, November 29, 2020

Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony

 by Carolyn Moore

To fully appreciate the significance of my induction into Phi Theta Kappa, it is important to know some history. Brought up in an urban middle-class home, with three older brothers, my family appeared to be picture perfect, at least from the outside. A closer look from the right angle would reveal the truth. As a young child, deception, rejection, and sexual abuse was the predominate theme in my home. As a result, I had a hard time staying focused in school and my grades suffered. Although it was a struggle to the finish line, I graduated high school with a 1.64 grade point average.

Fast forward 30 years. After raising two sons on embarrassingly low wages, I decided it was time to pursue my real career-- a Psychologist. With a passion to help others to experience healing after abuse, I fought past the thoughts of inadequacy and failure, and enrolled in my first classes in January 2020. Since then, my evenings and weekends have been devoted to studying. I will be the first to tell you, it has not been easy. As a matter of fact, after a quick examination in the mirror, I discovered my gray hair has multiplied!

When I received an invitation to join Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, I sobbed. My hard work and dedication was paying off! Immediately, I accepted the invitation and sent in my $100 one- time membership fee.

Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, the international honor society of two-year colleges, was established in 1918. According to the Phi Theta Kappa page on the CF Portal, “The purpose of Phi Theta Kappa shall be to recognize and encourage scholarship among college students. To achieve this purpose, Phi Theta Kappa shall provide opportunity for the development of leadership and service, for an intellectual climate for exchange of ideas and ideals, for lively fellowship for scholars, and for stimulation of interest in continuing academic excellence.” Phi Theta Kappa is an international organization and the “largest in American higher education” with over 1.5 million members. To qualify students must have completed 12 hours, earning a 3.5 grade point average or higher (“Phi Theta Kappa”). As mentioned earlier, Phi Theta Kappa membership is by invitation. It was an honor and privilege to participate in the Phi Theta Kappa virtual induction ceremony.

 


We began the evening displaying patriotism for our great country. To honor our nation, we stood at attention and saluted the flag while reciting the Pledge of Allegiance. Afterward, Dr. Jim Henningsen, President of the College of Central Florida, congratulated all students who were receiving this prestigious award for their academic achievements. 

Dr. Charles McIntosh, Chairman for the Florida Criminal Justice Educators Association, was our first guest speaker. His topic of study was to the 7th Generation Inheritance and Legacy. According to Dr. McIntosh, the original meaning implored us to make every decision with the future of 7 generations in mind. However, modern society has revised the meaning to include making purposeful decisions about the way we use energy, water, and natural resources to ensure sustainability for the next seven generations.

In an effort to find greener ways to bring affordable energy to our homes, Dr. McIntosh asked us to consider our personal consumption and offered sensible small steps for conservation. He suggested shutting devices off when they are not in use, turning the air conditioning off when nobody is home, and encouraged us to discontinue discarding ½ full water bottles. Dr. Charles McIntosh left me pondering, what will I leave for the next seven generations? What will my legacy be?

Dr. Lynn Tincher-Ladner, President and CEO of Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society, was our final guest speaker. She talked about the differences between generations. She defined generations as groups of people born and experiencing life at about the same time. According to Dr. Tincher-Ladner, combining generations in academic settings, as well as in the work place, allows new ideas to develop due to diverse experience and backgrounds. She believes that Baby Boomers are dependable workers with a strong work ethic. She adds that Generation X are independent, abhor micro-managing, and value flexible work schedules. The Generation Y- Millennial’s are confident, ambitious, highly adaptable and achievement oriented (Tincher-Ladner). Finally, she said that Generation Z are action focused and are the first generation who does not know a world without technology. 

 

Dr. Tincher-Ladner suggested that attending a community college prepares the student for life and work in ways they may not have expected. Since the community college students range from Baby Boomers to Generation Z, she believes the diversity benefits not only the student but also the classroom and campus.

She continued by saying that Phi Theta Kappa provides participants an edge by allowing them to work in diverse groups to solve complex problems that impact our community and world. Finally, Dr. Tincher-Ladner announced the Phi Theta Kappa Generation and described us as a generation that represents the best of the best from Baby Boomers to Millennials.

Considering this was the first Phi Theta Kappa Induction Ceremony held in a virtual setting, it was organized and inspiring. Kicking the evening off with the salutation to the flag was an excellent choice; it stirred up a sense of unity among the members and inductees. The camaraderie continued as Dr. Charles McIntosh challenged each of us to consider how we steward our resources on a personal level. It is easy to sit back passively, thinking that our personal decisions will not make a difference for future generations; however, that is untrue and irresponsible. Wrapping up the evening, Dr. Lynn Tincher-Ladner tied the evening together as she presented the Phi Theta Kappa Generation: A forward thinking, multi-generational honor society, working together for the good of the community. I encourage each student to do his or her best academically, connect with fellow students, and if presented the invitation, join Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. Life is better together! 

 

 Works Cited

“Phi Theta Kappa.” College of Central Florida, https://www.cf.edu/go/honors/ptk/). 

14 comments:

  1. Carolyn, I really enjoyed learning more about Phi Theta Kappa. I just recently completed a project for another class and this was my exact subject. Phi Theta Kappa is such a beneficial community for students to join. It's understandable that this year's induction ceremony was changed to an online formate, but I'm glad to hear that the experience was still just as exciting. I especially found Dr. Lynn Tincher-Ladner's message about how diverse community colleges are to be inspiring. Having students of all ages and backgrounds really contributes to an enriched educational experience for everyone involved.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I like to say to you Carolyn that you seem to be a very decent person who has earneed and deserves a lot of respect. I think your blog post has really touched me and has encouraged me to want to join the honor scoiety, and I'll definitly consider it in the future. I must say that the cermony was a very fine cermony with a lot of great and honorable guest speakers that I would love to have the opportunity to meet in person. I also agree with the good doctor that attending a community college prepares the student for life and work in ways they may not have expected and will benefit the students and also the classroom and campus. I think this blog post has really touched me and others and I thank you for posting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn, It sounds like you are someone who has had a really hard life especially when you were younger in your household. But, you are have been responsible about it and showing your two sons that it is not okay. I hate that you went through the things you went through like rejection and sexual abuse. Like you have talked about your GPA from High School because of the bad things that has happened in your life and you are trying to do better things. Like, you have said you are doing you can for sure take a different step and go do the good things.
    Kylie Engle

    ReplyDelete
  4. Carolyn, I love your blog, it is so inspiring to not only to me but also my family. I felt the need to inspire them to about what you went through and the amazing outcome! As a senior in high school and a freshman in college I have had my fair share with life and it's difficulties but seeing your story it makes me want to succeed even more and become a Radiologist. I have a lot of respect for you for becoming a Phi Theta Kappa member, it will benefit your future so much more. I hope that I will be given the opportunity to join this program like you have. Your blog post really inspired me and I hope you do great the rest of the semester.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carolyn,
    I love to read inspiring stories like yours. We all have so many different stories on why we did not continue our education. I graduated high school twenty years ago and am currently working on my two year degree. I too was invited and really need to look into this more and join.
    Melissa Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carolyn, reading this story was truly inspiring. I think it is important for students to read your story and know that even through hard times, despite previous performances, you can always turn around, work hard, and do better. I never knew anything about Phi Theta Kappa and I really enjoyed having the opportunity to learn more about it. I hope that this article motivates students to work towards Phi Theta Kappa because of your experience.
    Taylor Koon

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carolyn,
    I loved hearing about your experience with Phi Theta Kappa. I am sure they would be happy to have you! It is a great inspiration to hear of other mothers going back to school after having children. I am in my early forties and have an 8 year old and an almost 2 year old. This is my first semester back since graduating high school and I to feel it has definitely been a challenge with all the other mommy things we have to do. I am working towards being a radiology technician. Medical field is where its at..lol. Good luck to you with your career as a Psychologist, as I know that will be a great help to those who have been through traumatic situations as kids or even adults.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Carolyn,
    Congratulations on your achievement of becoming a Phi Theta Kappa member, what a great accomplishment! It is always awesome and inspiring to hear of someone turning a terrible experience around and using it to find a way to help others. I hope you continue to succeed and be recognize for your hard work. What a great example you are setting for your two sons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carolyn,

    I thoroughly enjoyed reading your blog. I love your drive and how you have overcome adversity in your life and pushed forward in life. It is very inspiring as a student and as a mother myself. Life can throw curve balls sometimes but it is truly how we respond to it that defines us not the action towards us!! You are amazing!
    Samantha Witt

    ReplyDelete
  10. Carolyn, I loved your blog post! Your blog post was very inspirational and heartwarming to me. Also from reading your blog post I can tell you truly are someone who embodies a good work ethic, and a drive to achieve your goals and aspirations. This post was very educational for me, before reading your post I had heard about Phi Theta Kappa but was not enlightened to the degree I am now after reading. Thank you for this post!
    -Jade Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  11. Carolyn, I loved your blog post! Your blog post was very inspirational and heartwarming to me. Also after reading this post I truly believe you are someone who embodies a good work ethic, and someone who strives to achieve their goals and aspirations. Your blog post was very educational for me, before reading your post I had heard of Phi Theta Kappa though was not as enlightened as much as I am now. Thanks for this amazing post!
    -Jade Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  12. Carolyn, I loved your blog post! Your blog post was very inspirational and heartwarming to me. Also after reading this post I truly believe you are someone who embodies a good work ethic, and someone who strives to achieve their goals and aspirations. Your blog post was very educational for me, before reading your post I had heard of Phi Theta Kappa though was not as enlightened as much as I am now. Thanks for this amazing post!
    -Jade Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  13. Carolyn, I loved your blog post! Your blog post was very inspirational and heartwarming to me. Also after reading this post I truly believe you are someone who embodies a good work ethic, and are someone who strives to achieve their goals and aspirations. Your blog post was very educational to me, before reading your post I had heard some about Phi Theta Kappa though was not as enlightened to the degree I am now. Thanks for this amazing post!
    -Jade Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carolyn,
    Congratulations on being selected for the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society. You had an amazing turn around from a 1.64 GPA to a 3.5 or higher. You should be very proud of yourself. I hope one day I will be able to be considered for this award as well. Hats off to you and all of your hard work! I loved the different speakers that spoke to you. It gives you a little insight of what to expect and what to think of, now that you are in the Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society.

    ReplyDelete