Monday, August 24, 2020

The Lure of Cigarettes and the Lie they Tell

 by Carolyn Moore



For those who do not smoke, they may wonder why people light up in the first place. On a micro-level, some may have smokers in their nuclear or extended family, where cigarettes are readily available. Others smoke to feel comfortable in social situations. I was walking around with a pack of cigarettes at 6. I believed the lie that smoking was a socially acceptable behavior. Often young people feel a sense of camaraderie as they sneak a smoke with their peers.  Regardless of how a smoker's journey begins, all will agree, it is a hard habit to kick. 

My cigarette story begins at the local C&E drug store, at 6. My mom was a school bus driver and always took me to work with her to avoid sending me to a babysitter. On a middle level, between high school and elementary school runs, the school bus drivers would gather to socialize in the café, at the rear of the drugstore. Although my mom didn’t smoke, most of the school bus drivers were smokers and smoking was permissible inside establishments. As a young, impressionable girl, I watched intently as the men would respectfully light the women’s cigarettes as they shared their stories and laughed.  

On a micro-level, from time to time, as a special treat, my mom would take me down the drug store candy aisle and allow me to pick out something. There it was, right at my eye level, Victory candy cigarettes!  I wanted to fit in with my mom's friends and join in on their morning fun. With no qualms, mom purchased the candy cigarettes. Immediately, I imitated the school bus drivers. Gracefully, I would pull out a candy cigarette from the very realistic cigarette package, and I would pretend to inhale the cigarette and exhale the smoke. I felt a sense of belonging as they positively reinforced my behavior. 

Fast forward about eight years, I was a teenager who was overweight, introverted and trying to deal with more than my share of family issues. In my mind, I only wanted three things, and that was to feel loved, to be thin and to fit in. On a macro-level, the tobacco industry’s glamorous, exciting, and portrayed-as-safe magazine advertisements had a large influence on me. I fantasized about a different future as I viewed the Newport “Alive with Pleasure!” magazine advertisements. They claimed, “After all, if smoking isn’t a pleasure, why bother?”  The marketing executives knew what they were doing as they grabbed the viewer's attention with their sexual innuendo’s, leading the reader to read between the lines. The beautiful and playful women, accompanied by the hottest men, were laughing, and having a great time. They had the life that I wanted.  

On the middle-level, at 15, I found myself drawn to the crowd of kids who hung out on “the wall.” The wall was where all the cool kids hung out at my high school. Others argued that they were better known as the rebels. They all met before school, just off the school property, to hang out and smoke. Desiring to fit in, I purchased my first pack of cigarettes and pretended to inhale. It reminded me of my younger days at the C&E drug store, only this time I was smoking the real thing.  I remember the first time I inhaled; there was a burning in my throat, and I coughed uncontrollably. I even threw up the first few times that I inhaled the tobacco. 

By my 16th birthday, I would be considered a closet smoker. My cigarette smoking had grown from meeting with peers outside the school grounds to sneaking outside my bedroom window.  Nobody in my nuclear or extended family smoked and although, on a micro-level, my mother bought me my first candy cigarettes, they strongly disapproved of my smoking nicotine-packed cigarettes. When I graduated high school, I was smoking a pack of cigarettes a day and using nicotine to sooth and numb my emotions. They appeared to distract me from the stresses of everyday life. I believed that cigarettes made my life more manageable, and smoking was socially acceptable behavior. I developed ritualistic habits with plenty of triggers. With my unquenchable cravings for a cigarette, I believed that no meal was complete without one, and a cup of coffee and a cigarette went hand in hand. If I had one option, I preferred cigarettes over food. 

As I moved into my single thirties, I found pleasure dressing with class and elegance while sipping wine with influential men, as we smoked fine cigars at five-star food establishments. I used smoking as a socialization tool, as is portrayed in the middle- level. I was reinventing the Newport advertisements in my life, without even recognizing it. To outsiders, I was well put together and a social butterfly. I was no longer in control of the cigarettes; they had taken control of me and my life. I planned my day around smoking cigarettes. My addiction sadly had become central in my life. They were my idol. After the lure and seduction of smoking dissipated, I found myself chained to the guilt of my addiction and covered with the shame of the deception that I bought into. 

 

Transitioning from my thirties to forties, I had a religious experience and examined the effects of cigarette smoking. I noticed the fine lines had formed around my lips, the smell of tobacco that infused my clothing, and the shortness of breath that had me reaching for my inhaler.  Wanting to escape the death grip of cigarettes, I tried self-help suggestions. I bought nicotine patches, received hypnosis, and tried to quit cold turkey without success. When I finally had come to the end of myself, I called out to Jesus for help. He rescued and delivered me from the stronghold that nicotine had firmly established in my life. With a big thank you to Jesus, I am celebrating 5 years of being smoke free. 

10 comments:

  1. That is a great story and mine is similar. I too started for the social part of it when I was 13 and then it seemed to take over my life. Before I knew it I too would schedule my day around cigarettes. Did they have a place I could just get 1 in? I relied on it in my everyday living. I am now in my early 40's and have been smoke free for 5 days. Yes its only the beginning of my journey, but I am ready to take that step. I know God is going to be the one to help me through it!! Thank you for being and inspiration and reminding me that it can be done!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That story made my eyes water! Thank you Jesus for what He did for you! I am so sorry that you had to go through that at 6 years old because you wanted to fit in. You are beautiful and loved just the way you are. I'm sure your story will help others that have gone or is going through the same situation.
    -Christine Ydeo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, such a great story. I feel like most people can relate to this blog post in some sort of way. Many people have bad habits that can way them down or hinder them from living the life they want. I personally can't relate but i know people who can and it's always a positive to find out someone has beat an addiction.
    -Jade Raymond

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not personally experienced the effect of cigarette smoking, but in the same family nowadays are the nicotine infused vape pens. I have been strong enough to stay away from them, but a couple of my friends have fallen victim to such a bad habit. Their addiction is so bad that it causes them to shake if they don't get their fix. It has really given me good incentive to not start smoking cigarettes or vapes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Although I have never smoked before, I can imagine how hard many people struggled due to the addiction. At a young age, the only people who really ever smoked and brought any type of awareness to cigarettes in my life was my grandpa. I remember my mom telling me to never smoke and always brought up the fact my grandpa would would always smoke at least one pack a day. We always tried convincing him and helping him but no matter how hard he tried and how many days he would be smoke-free, the addiction would always win after some days. However after many years of smoking, health battles, and struggles with smoking he finally convinced himself that smoking isn't worth risking your life because thats what smoking is, it's risking your life. He was able to quit cigarettes not only for himself, but for his family as well. That should be every person who is addicted to smoking's goal, to quit for their health and their loved ones.
    -bryan nava de anda

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have never smoked before, but I was surrounded by family member's that do. Its pretty easy to tell when somebody is addicted to smoking because they aren't even able to hide their addiction. I was never interested in smoking to fit in or anything because the smell to me was horrible and the thought of hot smoke entering your lungs never sounded pleasant, i also didn't really care about fitting in. I have met people who have overcome their addiction however and they seemed like they changed into completely different people because of the way they viewed the world, happiness and life itself after they overcame one of the hardest battles they'l ever fight which is addiction. Hopefully everyone who is struggling with addiction will not only be able to overcome it, but also strive afterwards.
    - bryan nava de anda

    ReplyDelete
  7. That story was amazing! This is so brave of you to post your experience with smoking. I think this post helps bring awareness to smoking, and how harmful it can be not only physically but mentally. I am very proud that you overcame your addiction. -Peyton Satterfield

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is such a great story. I have thankfully never struggled with addiction to nicotine, but I do have friends that have and I have noticed that it comes down to peer pressure. When you are in high school it's almost a social normality to smoke, so kids do it to fit in and they think "well I'll only do it once" then they end up doing it again and again. I've noticed that the longer you wait the harder it is to stop but it is very hopeful to read about the possibility of being able to quit.
    -Taylor Koon

    ReplyDelete
  9. This story is so great. I have never struggled with a nicotine addiction, but I do have friends that have or still do. I think most people start just to fit in. Now a days it's a social normality and no one wants to be an outcast. Most of the people I know that smoke were only planning on doing it once, but they ended up doing it again and again. The longer you wait to quit the harder it gets but lucky stories such as this one let us know that it isn't impossible.
    -Taylor Koon

    ReplyDelete
  10. Everything about this story brings back memories. The candy cigarettes and all the advertising I saw as a kid. The "smoking" sections in restaurants. The "smoking" or "non-smoking" rooms at hotels. I remember even going to a toy store called OP Taylors where you could buy fake cigarettes that made smoke "puff out". I know that addiction to nicotine is rough, I used to use the pouches when I would stay up and study when caffeine by itself just wasn't working anymore. Unfortunately I feel like smoking is starting on an upswing, not to mention all of the other smoking "devices".

    ReplyDelete