Monday, August 7, 2017

Zentangling

by Susan Singbush

 A type of art that has taken hold recently is Zentangling. One reason it has grown in popularity is that almost anyone can create a drawing in this style. Even if (like me), you have little or no native artistic skill, it is very easy to learn.

Zentangling is based on simple geometric patterns, and can be embellished further with smaller patterns within the larger elements of the drawing, or just colored in. Alternatively, one can create a “landscape” from the larger pattern (as I have done with the drawing I have included). Many of the larger patterns possess a three-dimensional quality and contain optical illusions of some kind. Effects like these can be made more obvious with shading (which creates depth), color progression (which creates a “merged” effect), and modified perspectives/angles (which can make a shape look like something else).

Although it has grown in popularity recently, it is a technique as old as the history of art, and can be found in many ancient cultures (i.e. Mayan, Maori, and Celtic). The art is based on the principle that refrains from planning and encourages the organic flow of lines and images to emerge. Due to its repetitive nature, theories suggest it is self-soothing, like a child when doodling. Due to its organic nature, it allows artists to embrace imperfections in their work- in essence, since there is no plan, nothing can be wrong. For a “stick-figure artist” like me, the lack of pressure to create something perfect makes me feel successful with even a simple creation, like the one I have included below.



My personal preference in art always has leaned toward the abstract, such as the work of Jackson Pollock. I tend to be goal-oriented, so oddly enough, after creating the background/landscape of the picture, I found myself adding “portals” and creatures working towards arriving at a particular “cell." After stepping back and looking at the picture I created, that was my impression. For me, the creatures in the lower-right “cell” are at the beginning of their journey, and the journey’s end was in the upper-left “cell”- the one brightly colored like a sunset. My suggestion is, if you find yourself doodling one day, you might encourage yourself to be open to the extension of doodling called Zentangle.

4 comments:

  1. Zantangling sounds very interesting. I am right there with you about being a stick figure drawer. I was in art class all throughout high school and still can't draw for anything. You did a really good job explaining exactly what it is and how relates to everyone, whether it be a child for self soothing or an actual artist doing it. I will have to try this. At work I doodle on random things making shapes and coloring them in just to occupy my time (when not doing school work). Great post! :)
    -Caylie Hulett

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never heard of zantangling; what a mouthful! This form of art looks really interesting. You explained it so well and I love the picture that you added to the post. I am looking forward to showing my 9 year old this "new to me" technique and reading your story to her. She loves to doodle and draw so I think this will be of great interest to her. Thank you for sharing. :-)
    -Rebecca D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must say, I've never heard of zentangling! Zen makes me think of meditation, or a zen garden. It makes sense with what you said about this being a relaxing, no pressure art form. I personally love art, and dabble in many forms, but I really enjoy adult coloring books. There's something so fun about just being able to color, or doodle, like with zentangling. You just get to choose your colors and fill in the lines. I like the the versatility of zentangling, like how you've turned your squares into physical spaces. Honestly, I'll probably try this myself! I think it would be visually interesting to turn each square into a different color gradient. Or you could do a different pattern in each square, but when you look at the whole page, it makes one image.

    Thank you,
    Allison Hache

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of Zentangling either. You learn something new everyday. It reminds me of the video game of Minecraft the way they are in blocks and rows. I also use to have electronic blocks with stick figures in them, and when you stack them up on each other or next to each other the electronic stick figures in joining boxes would interact. I have always enjoyed art too, and this looks like something I could do. I like how basic it is, and how you added the idea of a journey. Keep doodling! Thanks for sharing.
    - Blake M.

    ReplyDelete