Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Noah's Ark

by  Lisa Newton
My sister Lori first taught me how to paint ceramics when I was in high school. I was never very good in art class and could hardly dray a stick figure, but she was insistent on sharing her passion with me. She taught me the techniques of staining with paint, which is nothing more than adding water to paint to make it runny so it can seep in the nooks and crevices of the ceramic. She taught me how to dry brush, which is basically getting as much paint off the brush as you can, and then lightly paining over an object. I learned that you can always paint back over a mistake and start over again. I found that I enjoyed learning from her and she really enjoyed teaching me.

My mom made it to my graduation, but barely. She had just had her breasts removed from cancer. As soon as they called my name she left. I never quite understood the sacrifice she made that day till years later as I matured. She survived and got a clean bill of health. We celebrated the five-year mark! Then the news came that it was in her bones. She became very sick this time, much worse than the last. 

I decided to paint her a ceramic Noah’s Ark night light so as she lay there in bed she could be reminded of God’s Promise. We were not a religious family, but I am pretty sure most kids know the
Noah’s ark story to some extent. When I gave it to her I said to her it was a reminder that God was always with her. I felt like in the dark hours of the night she could use that extra reminder.


She loved the night light. She made holes in some of the paper because not enough light was getting through. It is a nice reminder to me that she did use it. She did lose the battle to cancer before long. I took possession of the light after she was gone. I wasn’t sure I was going to share this as my second extra credit assignment until I got the news today that my Aunt passed. She battled cancer. Same as my mom, but over twenty years later. It would go to the bone, but she would survive. Within days of her status of remission she would have a stoke that would have her in agony and fighting for her life till today. In remembrance of my mom and my aunt I submit my Noah’s Ark Ceramic Painting.





8 comments:

  1. What a beautiful piece of art. When I first clicked on the link I thought it was a image pulled from google because of how good it was. It was so nice how you made the Noah's Ark piece for your mom. I am so sorry about this passing of your mom and your aunt. I am glad you shared your story with all of us.
    -Caylie Hulett

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing your story. I am so sorry that your mom and aunt passed away. Your Noah's Ark piece is beautiful. What a blessing to have something to help you remember your mom and the joy and peace that must have brought her in the dark hours of the night. I also like that you and your sister can bond while she teaches you how to paint, family is so important.
    -Rebecca D.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow love this art , this was /is one of my favorite stood the Bible . Sorry for your lost of your mother, loosing a love one is never an easy pill to take , but we somehow mange to get through this thing called life , with love prayer and the will to make others proud of the work we have done. The one thing with having this art is the memo that you hold with it , and those will never be taken away from you . Again nice art and one of my all time favorites 😍

    Shambria

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What a beautiful piece of art , that just so happens to be one of my favorite stories of the Bible. Sorry for your loss of your mother , loosing a love one is never an easy pill to swallow, but with love , prayers and the will to continue on we journey through this thing called life. Again what a beautiful piece of art

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredibly touching story. Thank you for taking the time share something so personal and difficult. May your aunt and mother rest in peace, and your family and loved ones find strength in this difficult time. It's beautiful that you were able to use the art your mother taught you to help her in her time of need. As a mother, I know the best thing my kids could give me is their love. You gave your mom that love in the form of a beautiful, heartfelt ceramic, a symbol of your relationship. Now you have a tangible symbol of that connection. I also think your story speaks of the significance of teaching someone valuable skill one-on-one. There's something so meaningful about learning a skill you will keep forever with someone who cares for you. I wish you the best, and I hope you continue to paint and sculpt.

    Thank you,
    Allison Hache

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, with Allison, you shouldn't stop painting and sculpting. I think it's nice that you got to keep it, and now you have that memory in their honor.

      Blake M.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my grandmother last year to breast cancer, and it was very hard. We were very close. I can also relate to your pottery. I never felt like I was very good at art either, but I liked it. I took pottery in high school, and even though I never felt like I was very good at it the pieces I made always came out kind of cool. There is something relaxing about making things out of clay. I agree with Allison and hope that you will contine to sculpt. I really enjoyed your post.
    Blake M.

    ReplyDelete