Monday, January 23, 2017

Morning With Merlina

by Nina Danielsson

It’s morning; the temperature is still low, and it’s dark outside. I walk into the stable and take a deep breath through my nose. The first thing I smell is the hay, the second, horses. That breath opens all my senses and blocks out all the bad dreams I had the night before, all the “must do,” and all the anxiety I feel. I walk into my free-zone, and right at that moment all my worries and problems are gone.


Merlina
The feeling in a stable is always peaceful and happy. I can’t stress, and I don’t want to stress; I want to enjoy every second and every breath. I walk into my horse’s stall, and she looks at me and walk towards me to say hello. She puts her muzzle on my shoulders and blows air in my ear; it’s her way to tell me “Good morning. I missed you.” Then she starts to look for candy in my pockets.


There is something special about spending time with animals. They don’t have any worries, and they don’t think about problems. They live in the moment, and the second I walk into a stable I start living in the moment as well. If we treat them right, they will love us unconditionally and do anything for us.


There is nothing I love as much as spending time with horses. My lifetime passion will always stay the same. 

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed reading this blog post. I have a horse of my own at my grandfather's barn except she's brown and your's is brown i call her lilly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really enjoyed reading your post. I never had a chance to own a horse, but horses are my favorite animals. They seem very peaceful and they are very pretty.
    -Pelin Aroguz

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your blog Nina and your descriptions brought back my memories of how all your woes and worries are dropped outside the stall door. Once inside the stall you are in their world. Their consciousness is so vast and positively oriented that when you are together it is easy to yield to the mood of the moment. You do indeed breath it in and feel synchronized with the nature of matter and your own being. It is true that once horses have been your passion they always will be. I believe that the animals who come into your life are not by accident and, like Merlina and yourself Nina, this is the bonding yet unfathomable essence at the heart of the relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful post. I can truly relate, I have never owned a horse but I have worked in many stables across the county. One thing that always stands out in the barn is the smell, surprisingly sweet, it's almost aromatherapy. Your post brought me back to the barns I have worked in, your imagery is amazing. Thank you for sharing your love of animals and this great piece of work.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved how you wrote your post about a horse in a barn. I felt like I was there in the barn. I grew up in the country around horses, but never actually rode one. When I was little I would ride my bike around the neighborhood and stop to feed all of the neighborhood horses with apples and carrots. The horsed would see my coming and run across the pasture to meet for a treat. Sometimes my mom didn't have any carrots and apples to give me so when I stopped to see them empty handed they didn't like it. They would come to the fence snort and take off. Your post brought back memories that I haven't thought about in a long time. - Blake M.

    ReplyDelete