Thursday, May 7, 2020

The Journey from Struggle to Appreciation

by Landon Abshier 

Growing up I was never good at reading or writing. Taking the reading/writing portion of standardized tests when I was younger was always a nightmare. Because of these required examinations that I had to take when I was younger, I never grew to enjoy reading or writing due to my past struggles and lack of skill. However, as time went by, my taste for literacy began to change.

It all started in elementary school with my very first standardized test. I was so excited and prepared for it all at the time. I finished the test and felt pretty good about everything.  When the results came in, I passed in every category except for the reading/writing part of the test. I was devastated! Ever since that experience I have never had any desire to improve my writing skills because I thought that I would always be a terrible writer. And, to this day I am a very troubled reader. These experiences lowered my confidence when it came to anything related to school work.

On a positive note, today my relationship with reading and writing has improved. Nowadays, I enjoy spending a lot of time writing poetry. As far as reading goes, I do enjoy a good book every now and then. Struggling with reading and writing has definitely caused a lot of pain and discomfort, but as I continue to improve those skills I am learning to enjoy reading and writing.After one semester in an intensive reading class in high school, I improved my FSA score to a solid level 4 and my teacher, Ms. Garcia helped me to believe in myself. If it were not for my parents forcing me to pursue a college degree, I would not be enrolled today. Thankfully, they believe in me and push me; otherwise, I would not have attempted college at all. I am appreciative of my struggle because it taught me to be thankful for how much progress I have made when it comes to literacy.


The journey has so far has been bumpy, but if it weren’t because of my memories of failing over and over, I would have never had the drive or motivation to want to be better than what I used to be. I still have a lot of overcoming to do with my reading skills, but as for writing, I have completely fallen in love with it and I especially love writing poetry. Today my love for writing and creating works of art stretches beyond imagination and writing will forever be one of my favorite hobbies.

4 comments:

  1. I am so proud of you! Please continue to push yourself to be the best you can be. Reading is so important in life and the more you read the better you will get. It is a great accomplishment to have over come your struggle of reading and turn it into something positive. As for writing I think that is a great way to express your feelings and I think it will help you become a better reader. I am very impressed by your determination to future your education. I wish you the very best in life and hope you continue to have confidence in yourself. Always remember you have come this far you can do anything you want just believe in yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow you hit home for me with struggling with reading and writing, I'm right there with you. I did however as a senior in high school read to the 2nd graders. Yes I was reading 2nd grade books, but it taught me to slow down and I retained what I read. I'm going to steal you poetry idea, I might not be writing hallmark cards but I will begin with small passages. Some of the greatest song writers are poets, like Bob Dylan. I never worried about a grade, I was concerned with pass or fail, thank you for your Blog, Mike Melhado.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very courageous to open up about your struggles with reading/writing, and your determination to face your fears with determination. Many others will be greatly motivated by your transparency. Certainly, you do have writing skills. It seems that your heart and mind meld together and pour out on the page. Very relational! I am a "late bloomer" myself. It's in our DNA. Ole Papaw.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really related to the fact that you had a bad experience but that made you work harder. I remember going through the F.C.A.T. and being so nervous to take it. Growing up I also had trouble with reading but after working at it with my teachers it improved. I'm glad that you kept pushing yourself and didn't just give up because many times that is what people do. It is also a extremely good thing that your teacher Ms. Garcia helped you believe in yourself to get you where you needed to be. Neda Okab.

    ReplyDelete