Wednesday, October 3, 2018

More Perspectives on Blake Fly:



by Dalimar Font
While I was sitting down and listening to Mr. Fly speak regarding his college experience, I was bewildered on how just three objects (a teddy bear, a backpack, and a guitar case) could represent something meaningful. I was completely taken aback when Mr. Fly took out the teddy bear, but I really enjoyed how he took his three objects and put a lesson to them. 

The passions, the studying, and your friends, that is what college is about. It is up to us, the students, in making the right choices but also knowing how to make time for ourselves. I know sometimes it is hard to ask for help, and I am guilty of it myself. I am stubborn to the core, and I don’t ask for help. Not only did Mr. Fly remind us to ask for help, but to also make sure to say “thank you” to the people that impact your life. He told us to make sure that we are appreciative of their actions that have helped us! 

Mr. Fly  spoke on so many things to which I, myself, and many of the other students that were in that theater, can relate! I can say I really enjoyed my time there, and I do not regret going. I believe that as individuals, as human beings, we tend to be harder on ourselves. Listening to Mr. Fly speak on his personal experiences and having him just talk to us, telling us solutions and what we can do to make life better, is a reality check. I loved how it was educational, fun, and real. I really loved the music and how everyone was clapping at the end (I even have it recorded and thinking back to it, I would not mind reliving that same moment), Mr. Fly is awesome! 


by Racheal Alagbra
Blake Fly, a motivational speaker who has presented to college students across the country, joined us on Wednesday to talk to us about succeeding and making the most of our time in college. He spoke about programs, partying, and our passions. He explained that only focusing on our program, partying, and passion we will burn out, flunk out or even miss out. 

I totally agree with him. When we all focus on one thing in college either our program or passion we tend to lack something else which causes us to fail one or the other. We must balance the two or three to succeed. He also spoke about how to use our school resources. When we attend college, our lecturers give us the opportunity to ask questions which we do not take advantages of. We should always ask question when we do not understand. That’s why we have them to help us. I agree with everything that he said on that day. He made us understand how to use our time wisely and to communicate with our teachers if we need help with anything. 


by Heidi Carron

I thoroughly enjoyed Blake Fly's performance! He, not only, brought a smile to my face but made me think about everyday life and the lives of people around me. 


He talked about his first year of college. He arrived with a backpack, a teddy bear and a guitar. The back pack represents Program. The teddy bear  People, and the guitar  Passions. The Program is your college learning and academics. The teddy bear is the people in your life, old and new. The guitar is for your passions, all the things you’re interested in, the things that you enjoy most.  You need all these things to succeed and for your well being, but trying to balance all of them at once can be a daunting challenge. Here’s where he made me stop to think. He said, “As a child we were never afraid to ask for help, but as we got older, asking for help got harder.” He’s right. Asking for help seems to make us look vulnerable, weak and incapable. I thought of how many times I needed help but never asked. Why? I also realized that no matter our age differences, I am as new to college life as my classmates. They are as vulnerable to awkwardness, stress and anxiety as I am. We all need help at some point in our lives. Will I be less hesitant to ask?

He had a student call someone, her Grandma, just to say, “Thank you”. She told her that she loved her and hoped she was feeling better (her Grandma was sick). She thanked her for taking them in and loving them all. Her Grandma was so sweet. She told her she loved her very much and thanked her for thinking of her. We were all in tears. I’m sure her Grandma felt so much better after that call. His point was that just one person can change the whole attitude and tone of the day. Thank you. Two simple words. But he pointed out how they feel weird to say to the people who are important to you.

Passions make people who they are, art, music, running, acting or writing. Whatever makes you, you. Blake encouraged students to look for people with similar interests, to share your passions. Put yourself out there and get involved. Show up. Ask for help. Say “Hello”, introduce yourself. Say something nice to change someone’s day! I took away a different perspective that day. I smiled, I introduced myself. I made a mental commitment to ask for help. I realized that we can all get bogged down in everyday life, but we are not alone in this. I may be older than my classmates, but we all share feelings of depression, being overwhelmed and anxious. There are resources available to us; we just need to ask for help. Thank you, Blake Fly.
 






2 comments:

  1. All of you seemed to have filled in information that I left out. Dalimar, I am very stubborn too and often don't want to ask for help. Racheal, I personally tend to focus on English and ignore math. That is something I must change. Heidi, you supplied the "why" in, "why don't we ask for help?" Too often, we do feel that asking for help makes us look weak and child-like. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You all wrote a great post about the speaker Blake Fly. You were very descriptive of the events that took place during his speech. I found it interesting to hear how he really got the students involved by having one call her grandmother. He sounds like a great speaker! -Katherine W

    ReplyDelete