Tuesday, April 4, 2017

From Couch to Canvas

by Alexander Kirkpatrick



Classroom desks, dining room tables, and living room couches; these places are where my true life's passion was born: creating art.  My passion for art started when, as a young child, I began drawing and coloring like many children.  However, unlike most children that age, art quickly became a real hobby, and so the seeds were planted in my mind which would eventually grow into an obsession –- an obsession which has only grown in its fervor.



Over the course of my relationship with it, art has become an entry into an entirely different world: a place I can go to whenever I feel the need to escape the turmoil, heartache, and uncertainty of the outside world; where I'm bound by no restriction or limitation but those of my own imagination.  This passion of mine for creating art has recently extended beyond just drawing and painting to include writing. In doing so, it has further instilled the thought that whether it is via writing or drawing, a blank page is as good an opportunity as any to create something new, something life-changing; to create something truly unique and special.




In closing, although I've been creating art most of my life, there is still much to learn and I welcome with open arms all the experiences that have and will continue to shape my artwork, making it stronger and more unique.  There are very few things I treasure more in life than sitting at a desk, table, or on a couch and listening to music while drawing, painting, or writing. 



5 comments:

  1. I absolutely love this journal entry, and I relate to it so much! I love art and drawing and everything that involves creativity. If you see my notebooks you will always find the corners filled with colorful characters that I just happen to think about. I still remember the first painting I made. It was so bad, but I loved it so much. It marked a point in my life where I knew there was no turning back, and I couldn't be happier I made the choice to follow my heart.
    -by Frances Maldonado-Martínez

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a beautiful thing to see enthusiasm at its best. We are habitual creatures by nature so having hobbies take little effort. When a hobby is driven by enthusiasm then it becomes something entirely different. You have used an outlet such as art to express your emotions and feelings while at the same time using it to tap into your imagination enabling you to focus your attention blocking out distractions of this world. This is what separates human beings from all other species. Great job balancing life and finding something to be enthusiastic about. With an open mind that's hungry to learn and grow you will go far in life.
    Casey Whittington

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! you're really good. Did your parents push you to continue with your art once they knew how much you loved it? My daughter loves art and everyday she always wants to draw paint color. i encourage her to do it because i can see the love and joy when she's sitting at the table or outside . I really enjoyed your pieces super cool to look at. i showed my daughter and she liked them too so great job. Ashley Payette-

    ReplyDelete
  4. This art work is amazing you are really good. I wish I had the talent to draw or paint. Your paintings are very unique and it sounds like you are very passionate at what you do. Your pictures look like they all have a meaning when you paint them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your art work is amazing. I wish that I could draw and paint like that. I did take some drawing classes in high school and I enjoyed learning about art, but I was never very good at it. I took a ceramic class and that was my favorite because I felt like it was a little easier than drawing or painting. I thinking drawing and painting is definitely harder. I really like the bright colors that you use. My favorite piece of art that you posted was the first one. I like the colors that you used and the 3-D angles that you used. It kind of draws you into the picture and makes you feel like you are there. Keep creating art! You are good! - Blake M.

    ReplyDelete