Tuesday, February 21, 2017

My Wicked Awesome Experience

by Julie Miller
“Are people born wicked? Or do they have wickedness thrust upon them?” Wicked is a musical stage show which is a prequel to the Wizard of Oz. It’s about the relationship between Elphaba and Glinda, who are better known as the Wicked Witch of the West and The Good Witch. The opening number is a flashback about Elphaba’s birth and how she was born green. It then goes into when they met in college and hated each other but eventually became friends. Elphaba lets her power get to her head and becomes wicked, for lack of a better word. Near the end, they incorporate Dorothy into it, which ties it into The Wizard of Oz movie.

Wicked came out in 2003 with an amazing cast.  Idina Menzel was Elphaba, and Kristin Chenoweth was Glinda. It’s one of the most popular (pun intended) musicals. I say pun intended because in the first act, Glinda tells Elphaba that she’s going to make her “Popular,” which is one of the most well-known songs.

Idina Menzel (Elphaba) and Kristin Chenoweth (Glinda)

Wicked was not my first Broadway musical, but it is one of my favorites because I relate to Elphaba. My first Broadway show was actually Phantom of the Opera. I saw it in 2010 when I was 8 years old and it sparked my interest in musical theatre. I’ve seen a lot of other musicals too. One of my other favorites was Rent. I recently saw Wicked for the second time at the Straz Center in Tampa, but the first time I saw it was in 2010 at the Adrienne Arsht Center in Miami with one of the tour casts.  
The acting on the new version was amazing, but the singing was like I was listening to the original cast. The girls looked and sounded so much like Idina and Kristin. The music is amazing. It’s hard for me to pick a favorite song because they’re all so good. I can listen to the soundtrack on repeat for weeks.


My Playbill
I would definitely recommend it especially if you’re just starting to get into musical theater. It’s a well- known musical.

5 comments:

  1. I love the Wicked musical. Well, I've never seen it, but I am in love with all of the songs I have heard and all the small things I've seen about it. It would be a dream come true to actually see this musical one day. I know all the words to "popular", "what is this feeling?" and my personal favorite "defying gravity". I might not be able to see the musical any time soon, but for now I'll just settle to listen to Pandora and hope the next song will be a wicked song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This blog post makes me remember how my parents took me and my sister to musicals. We went to many different musicals when we were growing up, and when we visited London for the first time, we saw Mamma Mia on Broadway; it was amazing. The feeling you get while seeing a musical can just be describe as magic. I’ve never seen the Wicked, but one of my friends saw it when she was visiting New York, and she said it was "the best musical ever". I’ve only heard good things about Wicked, and I’m hoping my next Broadway musical will be the Wicked musical.
    -Nina Danielsson

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was an interesting and informative blog post about the musical Wicked. I have seen dozens of musicals over the years on Broadway and in London, so I became a bit weary of them, however this one has renewed my interests again. I do know the songs from the show and very often seeing the performance adds so much color and background to the music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never been to a musical before. I have such a hard time sitting through movies or plays. I would like to see a Broadway play, especially like the one you described. Wicked sounds very interested I think this would be a good one for me to see because of the connection to the Wizard of Oz. I use to watch the Wizard of Oz when I was a kid. They way you describe it and the pictures you posted really make me interested in seeing it. I'm not too sure If I would like Phantom of the Opera, but maybe. Thanks for sharing! I hope you get to add a few more musicals to your list, you really sound like you enjoy them. - Blake M.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you gave the background behind Wicked. This blog post was very informative and well written. I have never seen a musical but I want to see one very bad. I always listen to Wicked music however, I have never been to the musical. I hope one day I will be able to go to a musical. --Kaitlyn Watson

    ReplyDelete